Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Note to Educators: Fatherless Families are Not "Broken"



Dear fellow educators and friends:

Usually, I like to write about what is going on in the classroom, but today's post is going to be a little bit different. This topic may not apply to you.  If it does, I pray that you receive it well.  Please accept that this post comes from the bottom of my heart to make education a better place. I am not placing judgement on anybody. I simply want to get my thoughts on this topic out there for educators to read and relate back to their students.  


I am here to say that it is not okay to label a family a "broken home" because the father or mother is missing from the picture.   This term, "broken family," is placed on families with divorced parents or if one of the parents is not around. This term has been floating around for a few decades, and this type of label hurts people and places them in a negative category. It is also incorrect on many levels. 


Growing up, all I had was my mom, grandma, and my twin brother. My dad wasn't around, we lived in a poor neighborhood in Los Angeles, and we were learning a new language.  I kept hearing "broken family" while I was growing up in the LAUSD, but those words couldn't have been further from the truth. 


My brother and I were poor, fatherless, and immigrants but we were happy. Those other factors did not describe us nor did they define us.  Our mom and grandma taught us to have manners, hold education in high regards, and to have joy in our hearts.  Not having a father never made our family broken.   


I share this because many educators still believe that kids that are born in these types of situations are at a disadvantage, and that is a fallacy. This is how grit, perseverance, determination to succeed, and will to be on top is created. Take a look at these photos. Those are real families, happy families. I don't see anything broken. Do you?

1 comment:

  1. So true! Thanks for speaking out on this. Our students and their families deserve better.

    ReplyDelete