Friday, August 28, 2015

Five for Friday {August 28th}


Welcome to my very first Five for Friday! I've linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for this weekly post about random things from today or this past week, and I am so excited to share everything that has happened this past week...which was the first full week back to school by the way. There really is no tired like first week back to school teacher tired! Anyways, let's get started before I get distracted! 


I have opened up my class to my wonderful, new students, but my class is still not finished! Thankfully, I haven't had any anxiety about it, because I know my students could care less what is on the boards. So, look forward to another post with an incomplete classroom class reveal.


It would have been easier if my classroom was smaller. I just moved in, and I was amazed at the size! So many bulletin boards to fill up!



I have felt so out of the TPT/blogging loop the past month because I have been getting ready for back to school, but a few days ago I finally updated my Character Education Posters on my TPT page. Since I'm only about five months in, I don't know how I will be able to balance TPT with my first grade classroom. Share any tips you have please! :)


Too bad the lighting isn't that great! Of course, the rest of the bulletin boards are still incomplete.



I'm a firm believer in starting with regular class procedures on the first day of school, so I started guided reading and centers the very first day. Of course, I was merely teaching the procedures and no real content was delivered. Since I am enforcing the procedures, I don't have time to be with my "teacher group," so I had them doing independent work while I roamed around the class.


The ipads of course the highlight of all of my students' day.  They love this center, and can't wait to move from my teacher table to the ipads.


The hardest to teach is read to self and read to someone.  It takes a lot of stamina and practice, but I know my students can do it.


I still have to add the writing center and word work center, but those will probably be on another day.



This was one of my favorite hacks this year. I created five folders for any possible new students I might get in the school year. I put in the welcome packet and other assessments I would like them to do.  Five days in, and I already had not one, but two new students! Best. Hack. Ever.


The last one is without a picture, but I am so proud of it that I couldn't dismiss it. I am so incredibly proud to say that I have made lunch every day this past week. Let's see if I will keep this up! 

3 comments:

  1. Ok, you may be the firs teacher I've ever heard say that things would be easier if your classroom were smaller! It looks like you've don'e a fantastic job so far. I hope your year is full of amazing moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll trade you rooms! I wish I had a bigger room! With 28 students, I feel so cramped in my small room. It looks awesome so far, and personally, I think it's less overwhelming for everyone to start with less and gradually add more. Looks like you had a great first full week!
    Shine on in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be glad to take some of your bulletin boards off your hands! I like how you started centers right away.

    ReplyDelete