Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Really, Very, Absolutely {Belated} Happy New Year + Challenges

Hello wonderful people!  I hope you are all enjoying the new year so far.  It is going by way to fast, and I wish it would just slow down.  I hardly remember when it was Winter break, and I was sleeping, eating delicious food, and Netflixing.  I was also able to spend quality time with family.  



Being away from my classroom really made me reflect on my successes and challenges of the first part of my first year of teaching. I knew that I would come across both, but I never sat down to think about it critically until now.  Part of it was due to my graduate school.  They also stress that reflection on our teaching was the most critical part of our career.  So, why don't I go straight into them, starting with my challenges.  

Challenges

  1. Balancing work life and home life. I always heard that teachers work 80 hour work weeks, but I never thought I would be one of those.  In my fantasy world, I would wake up at 7am, be at work at 7:30.  I would teach and inspire kids' lives, and then head home at 4pm to be with my family.  Boy, was I wrong.  The first 6 months of my teaching career consisted of endless cutting, pasting, creating lessons and centers, making bulletin boards, and reading on new strategies.  I just hope it gets better as years go by.  
  2. Balancing work life and graduate school work. If I ever had the choice to teach full time and do graduate school at the same time, I wouldn't do it again.  It is just way too difficult.  I am just so grateful that my graduate school is filled with awesome colleagues, amazing advisors, and a wonderful program that truly believes in 
  3. Having a classroom that is diverse (students with Autism, English Language Learners, Cultures, Religions, and Different levels of readers). Also a plus. :) I have grown so much as a teacher in the short time I have been in the classroom, and I feel like I wouldn't have been the same growth if I did not have all the amazing students I do now.  They challenge me, they make me think, and they allow me to learn how to be a better teacher.  Every. Single. Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment