Thursday, March 20, 2014

How I Introduce Counting Coins

It's time for money counting! After checking for previous knowledge, I noticed that my first graders had very little to no previous knowledge about money or counting coins. No problem, we will just spend a couple more days on this unit than I first set out for. 

To combat this and get my students performing where I needed them, I decided to first set up an anchor chart that they can always refer to when counting money. This visual was the perfect initial tool because now they had a visual they had access to. 

The next step of scaffolding I provided was so crucial in their success. I definitely will do this again next year. Now, what I did was very simple to create. In my SMART notebook I created slides copied/pasted real looking coins. They look exactly like the real coins, they are big enough for everyone to see, and most importantly they are almost true to size in comparison to one another. So the dime is significantly smaller than the quarter, etc. 

If for some reason I do not have a smart board, I will make huge sized color copies of the coins, an attach magnets to them so we can use them on the white board. 



The way I implemented this was really fun! I had about 5-8 of each coin, and I showed them how to count the coins.  Next, I gave each pair of student a small bowl of coins. I would write a cent amount (less than a dollar), and they would work with their partners of make that amount with their coins. To conclude, I checked for understanding by seeing what combinations of coins the students worked with. This was definitely the funniest part of that days lesson. 



Another instructional strategy I will also use for next year will be reading "Jelly Beans for Sale" by Bruce McMillan. 


It's less than $5 on amazon. It is a very basic book that shows students how to count money up until 25 cents. The kids loved the book, and I read it to them 2 days in a row! 

No comments:

Post a Comment